Current:Home > ContactNovaQuant-Nebraska governor stands firm on rejection of federal money to feed food-insecure children -Capitatum
NovaQuant-Nebraska governor stands firm on rejection of federal money to feed food-insecure children
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 08:29:03
OMAHA,NovaQuant Neb. (AP) — Nebraska’s Republican governor on Friday reiterated his rejection of $18 million in federal funding to help feed children who might otherwise go hungry while school is out.
Nebraska will not participate in the 2024 Summer Electronic Benefits Transfer for Children — or Summer EBT — program, Gov. Jim Pillen said in a written statement. That statement came as advocates for children and low-income families held a news conference outside the Governor’s Mansion in Lincoln to call on Pillen to change his mind before the Jan. 1 deadline to sign up for the program.
The program — part of federal assistance made available during the COVID-19 pandemic — would provide pre-loaded EBT cards to families whose children are eligible for free and reduced-price lunches at school. Those families would receive $40 per eligible child per month over the summer. The cards can be used to buy groceries, similar to how SNAP benefits are used.
“COVID-19 is over, and Nebraska taxpayers expect that pandemic-era government relief programs will end too,” Pillen said in his statement. Pillen announced on Dec. 19 that Nebraska would not participate in the program. He has drawn a firestorm of criticism for later defending that stance at a news conference by saying, “I don’t believe in welfare.”
Neighboring Iowa is also opting out of the program, with Republican Gov. Kim Reynolds announcing that decision last week and saying, “An EBT card does nothing to promote nutrition at a time when childhood obesity has become an epidemic.”
States that participate in the federal program are required to cover half of the administrative costs, which would cost Nebraska an estimated $300,000. Advocates of the program note that the administrative cost is far outweighed by the $18 million benefit, which the U.S. Department of Agriculture estimates would benefit 175,000 Nebraska children who might otherwise go hungry on some days during the summer.
Advocacy group Nebraska Appleseed on Friday delivered a petition bearing more than 6,100 signatures from 230 communities across Nebraska calling on the state to utilize the federal Summer EBT program. Many of those who signed the petition also included comments expressing how much the program is needed, especially in light of multi-year inflation that has outpaced many household incomes.
“Everything is expensive,” wrote one mother from Bruno, a small rural town in eastern Nebraska. “I’m a single mom who works full time, and my budget is already spread so thin. My son plays sports, and as a growing boy, he could practically eat a hole through the wall; it feels like it never stops. The extra money for food would free up money for things like bills and savings, and car maintenance.”
Pillen insisted Friday that the state would continue to help food-insecure children through the Summer Food Service Program, which provides meals and snacks at various sites when school is not in session. Providing on-site services also allows providers to spot and report issues like malnutrition, neglect and abuse in children, he said.
But critics say not all families have access to the on-site programs — particularly in Nebraska’s vast rural stretches, where sites can be many miles away from a struggling family.
“No kid ever said, ‘I want to be born into a family that struggles,’” said Jenni Benson, president of the Nebraska State Education Association — the state’s largest teachers union. “Why would we even question that people and children deserve food?”
Preston Love Jr,, a longtime community advocate in Omaha, on Friday questioned whether Pillen was bowing to political pressure in rejecting the federal funding.
“I know the governor a little bit, and he seems to be a reasonable man. He’s a man who is compassionate in conversation,” Love said. “This is out of character. So, obviously, he’s not following his heart. He’s following his politics. He’s falling victim to political posturing, and there’s no excuse for that when it comes to children.”
As of Friday, 28 other states and six other U.S. territories and Native American tribes had confirmed their participation, according to the USDA.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- US to probe Tesla’s ‘Full Self-Driving’ system after pedestrian killed in low visibility conditions
- Virginia men’s basketball coach Tony Bennett is retiring effective immediately
- Homeland Security grants temporary status to Lebanese already in the United States
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- After Hurricane Helene, Therapists Dispense ‘Psychological First Aid’
- New Hampshire’s port director and his wife, a judge, are both facing criminal charges
- Nearly $75M in federal grant funds to help Alaska Native communities with climate impacts
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- How Larsa Pippen's Dating Life Has Changed Since Second Marcus Jordon Breakup
Ranking
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- How Liam Payne Reacted to Girlfriend Kate Cassidy Leaving Argentina Early
- BOC (Beautiful Ocean Coin) Grand Debut! IEO Launching Soon, A Revolutionary Blockchain Solution for Ocean Conservation
- Why Erik Menendez Blames Himself for Lyle Menendez Getting Arrested
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Wanda and Jamal, joined by mistaken Thanksgiving text, share her cancer battle
- Liam Payne's Heartfelt Letter to His 10-Year-Old Self Resurfaces After His Death
- Colsen recalls nearly 90,000 tabletop fire pits after reports of serious burn injuries
Recommendation
The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
Former porn shop worker wants defamation lawsuit by North Carolina lieutenant governor dismissed
Wanda and Jamal, joined by mistaken Thanksgiving text, share her cancer battle
Prosecutors say father of Georgia shooting suspect knew son was obsessed with school shooters
The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
Republicans appeal a Georgia judge’s ruling that invalidates seven election rules
Diablo and Santa Ana winds are to descend on California and raise wildfire risk
A man has been charged with murder in connection with an Alabama shooting that left 4 dead